Friday, May 23, 2008

Nikon vs.Canon.....Again

Ok...it's my turn to add my two cents to this long running debate. For those that are my friend on Facebook, you know that I put up a "thought of the week" video a few weeks ago dealing with this question. I got a few responses there, but I thought that I would get a little more detailed here. Let me preface this by saying that I am a Canon shooter and have been for several years. Their cameras are fine and I have had no problems with my gear, but I cut my teeth on Nikon and shot Nikon gear for 15 of the 18 years that I have been shooting. I have just been throwing around the idea of changing back to Nikon for last few months. The new D3 and D300 have really sparked my curiousity. The specs that you read are pretty incredible and there are pretty high profile folks shooting them. But lets keep this in perspective. Magazines are paid advertising dollars from certain manufacturers and these high profile shooters are also paid to rep the company. So here I am, a working professional photographer that is sponsered by nobody. Now I'm not the first person that is not sponsered that has these types of reviews on their blog, but hopefully I'll say something that means something to someone.

So here goes...The D3...Oh my god I want one bad....Need to win the lottery to get one...I'll save you the specs...they are available everywhere. I'll just give you a shooters perspective in short little bursts of thought..

  • Fast, Fast, Fast, Fast..........Did I say Friggin Fast Yet?
  • Best LCD display in the business...Bright, Super Sharp
  • Amazing Image Quality at very high ISO's (6400 is so useable, its ridiculous)
  • Built like a brick s***t house. (Sorry for the brashness...no other way to describe it)
  • Sharpest lens selection in the business
  • Dual Compact Flash Card Capability (Never need to change cards during a shoot..SWEET!)

Of course I could say more, but whats the point. The thing rocks!!

OK...The D300...Baby D3....More affordable...More bursts of thought..

  • Fast
  • Best LCD in the business(just like its big brother)
  • Amazing Image Quality at high ISO's (3200 is very useable, 1600 is scary good)
  • Amazing build quality
  • Huge, very sharp lens selection

Like I said above..the thing rocks..has alot of the same features as the D3.

So there is my take. My advice to anyone who asks...check it out for yourself. The bottom line is this..Canon is good, Nikon is good. Use whatever works for you. The most important thing is your eye...without that...you can't see;-) Post a comment with your thoughts or send me an email.

2 comments:

David Burke said...

Just got a D3. Words cannot describe how great it is. I have always been a Nikon Shooter, personal pref.

Enjoy.

BTW - Wish I could have been with you guys in DC. Kenny, Armin and Peter are such great guys!

Anonymous said...

"The bottom line is this..Canon is good, Nikon is good. Use whatever works for you. The most important thing is your eye...without that...you can't see;-)"

You nailed that right on the head..haha!!!!! I shoot Nikon & LOVE it, BUT it really doesn't matter what camera..it's you :-) GREAT food for thought here!!!!!